Quantcast
Channel: The Star, Kenya
Viewing all 63229 articles
Browse latest View live

Farmhand held for rape

$
0
0
A 25-year-old man was on Sunday arrested in Voi for raping a 90-year-old woman. Andrew Wandigha was arrested by members of the public at Kajire village in Sagalla location before being handed to the police. Taita Taveta police commander Charles Bitonga said the suspect had been employed by the woman’s son to herd their goats and cows before he turned against her. The suspect was taken to the Voi police station while the woman was taken to Voi District Hospital for examination and treatment.

Musimba appeals ruling on his election

$
0
0
FORMER Kibwezi West MP Patrick Musimba has appealed the nullification of his election. The High Court in Machakos revoked his election after a successful petition by former Kibwezi MP Kalembe Ndile. Ndile said he is confident of winning the by-electiion. “I should be the one appealing not him,” he said. “In fact the judge should have declared me the winner according to the new election rules.”

Women asked to go for screening

$
0
0
KISUMU Director for health Ojwang’ Lusi has asked expectant women to go for free cervical cancer screening. Ojwang’ said the screening helps in effective management of cervical cancer. Speaking yesterday in Kisumu, he said pregnant women should go for regular checkups to detect infection at an early stage. He said the services are done on a daily basis.

MP roots for cashew nuts

$
0
0
The Parliamentary Committee on Agriculture and Livestock has called on extension officers to help farmers in Kilifi resume cashewnut farming. Speaking in a meeting with the officers at the Kilifi county commissioner’s office on Saturday, committee chairman Ayub Savula asked the officers to be in touch with the farmers so there will be raw material readily available when the Kilifi Cashewnut Factory is repossed. “We are on the run to make sure the plant is revamped and managed by the farmers as it used to be. This shall only be realised if we have the products to take to the factory otherwise...

City lawyer prosecution postponed

$
0
0
ORDERS stopping the prosecution of a Nairobi lawyer over allegations of fraud have been extended. High court Judge David Majanja extended the order to September 25 and directed the Director of Public prosecutions to file its response. Musyoki Kimanthi sued the Inspector General of Police and the DPP seeking a declaration that his prosecution in a Magistrates court is a violation of his rights. He argued that he was illegally charged with various offences in a criminal case based on his engagements as an advocate. According to court documents, Kimanthi represented a Tom Onyango in a civil case...

Baringo pupils remain out of school due to floods

$
0
0
MORE than 500 pupils have not resume learning in Marigat division, Baringo South constituency. Amos Olempaka, a leader of the lchamus community and human rights activist said the more than four schools affected by floods remain closed. He said the schools remain submerged in floods caused by heavy rains. Ole mpaka said some schools had their roofs blown off by winds. "The affected schools are Salabani, Ngambo, Sintaan and Loropil," he said. Chair of the disaster committee John Moding said all the affected schools received donations of iron sheets and repairs will start soon. Moses Kochila,...

Mob kills thug in morning raid

$
0
0
Irate mob yesterday morning beat to death one of the ten man gang that had raided a home in Kagaa village in Maragua ,Murang’a County. According to Muranga County AP Commandant Josephat Kinyua the gang had gone to raid Patrick Kimani's home at 5.30am. Kinyua said that Kimani raised alarm prompting neighbors to respond immediately. While the other thugs managed to escape, the deceased was found hiding in a poultry cage. The angry mob beat him senselessly before lynching him .The deceased aged 30 year could not be immediately identified . Kinyua said police were tracing the run away criminals...

Kimaiyo shoot-to-kill order opposed

$
0
0
COASTAL lobby groups have condemned the shoot-to-kill order that were issued by the Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo and Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph ole Lenku last Friday. Muslim for Human Rights, Likoni Community Development Project and Kenya Muslim Youth Alliance have said the order by the two security chiefs will lead to careless use of weapons by the police. Muhuri executive director Rahma Gulam said the order was "irresponsible and careless". The groups have demanded that Kimaiyo and Lenku withdraw the orders and apologise to Kenyans or resign from their positions. The...

Mbeere family fights to save land

$
0
0
A family in Mbeere North district has appealed to the government to save them from eviction. The family of the late Nyagah Murete Mwoga in Muchonoke sub-location, of Siakago division, say some developers acquired the 25 acre land without their father’s knowledge. Ikamba Nyagah, Mwoga’s only surviving widow, said they were robbed of their land during registration.

Kuppet, senator differ on college upgrade

$
0
0
Kuppet has supported a proposal to elevate Kitale Technical to a University. Speaking at the Kitale School on Saturday, area executive secretary Furaha Lusweti said the upgrading will enhance education in the county. “Those opposing the elevation are not genuine. If the college is elevated, the cost of higher education will be affordable,” Lusweti said. He said the county is losing money to private universities whose directors and beneficiaries are not from Trans Nzoia. “The profits from private campuses is not ploughed back to strengthen the economy and improve education,” he said. Senator...

Saccos have Sh300 billion

$
0
0
Co-operative Societies in the country have accumilated assets worth more than Sh300 billion. Co-operatives Secretary Nelson Githinji said the sector has been performing well compared to the rest in Africa. "We expect the growth momentum in the sector to continue because of the new regulations put in place to strengthen management of SACCOs", he said. Githinji said the government has cancelled plans to shut down front office services for Savings and Credit Co-operative Societies. He said the Saccos have not increased their financial base to more than Sh10 million according to new regulations...

Grannies' day out at show

$
0
0
NYERI About 20 elderly people from Mweiga visited the Nyeri ASK show for the first time in their lives at the weekend. The old people were delighted by the modern crop-growing technology, the police band, young musicians and politicians. Mweiga town is 4km from Kabiru-ini grounds, where the show was held. “I have never been here before. I had no money to visit. Today was one of my happiest day in life,” said 75-year-old Mary Wairimu. Sixty-five-year-old Mary Wanjiku said that she was very happy to see an animal named llama which was bigger than a goat. While clad in shukas with balloons on...

Farmers told to form co-ops

$
0
0
COCONUT and fruits farmers in Kwale have been urged to form co-operatives to have one voice in setting market price for their goods. Makueni MP Daniel Maanzo said the co-operatives will be the only way to do away with cartels and traders exploiting them. He said the area is rich in production of coconut and oranges, which are always bought at a very low price by unscrupulous traders and middlemen leaving famers in abject poverty. The MP made the remarks in Kwale town last Friday when parliamentary committee on Agriculture and Livestock toured the area to inspect various agricultural projects.

Mwala leaders want road tarmacked

$
0
0
Mwala leaders in Machakos county yesterday urged Governor Alfred Mutua to prioritise the tarmacking of Makutano-Kithimani road. Led by Masii member of county assembly Justus Kimata, the leaders said tarmacking the road will link Mwala and Yatta districts. They said this will reduce high fares charged by public service vehicles. The leaders were speaking in Masii town after a consultative meeting to discuss priority areas of development in Mwala district. They said they have set aside three acres of land in Makutano market for the construction of a health centre. They said they are in the...

Mang'u principal to be buried Saturday

$
0
0
Mang’u High School Principal Henry Mbaabu Raichena will be buried at his home in Meru county this Saturday. Raichena, who died last Tuesday, has been heading the national school since 2002. He had been undergoing treatment for cancer at the Nairobi Hospital. Messages of condolences poured in from various educationists and leaders including Mt Kenya University chairman Simon Gicharu, who is a former teacher at Mang'u, and teachers’ union officials. “He shall be remembered for the role he played in ensuring Mang’u remained was a top performer and spearheading the national Mathematics contest,”...

State asked to waive hospital bills for victims

$
0
0
Five leaders have asked the government to waive bills for the Narok bus accident survivors at Kenyatta National Hospital. They include Homa Bay Senator Otieno Kajwang’, women’s representative Gladys Wanga, Ndhiwa MP Agustino Netto, Kibra MP Ken Okoth and Suba MP John Mbadi. Wanga said it is unfortunate that some of the survivors have been detained at the hospital. They were speaking in Ndhiwa town on Saturday during a funeral mass for 13 victims of the accident. “We appeal to the director of medical services and medical services secretary to give directions to have them discharged,” Wanga...

Chief, residents in water tussle

$
0
0
RESIDENTS of Kadzonzo village in Mariakani have accused their chief, Joyce Kombe, of bias over the use of a water pan built by the European Union. The residents say Kombe has allowed a few people to use the water from Kwa Karisa water pan to irrigate their farms. Speaking to the press at the water pan on Sunday, Gona Kazungu, a resident, said the water pan was dug by the community last year to be used for domestic purposes. However, Kombe said the water pan was meant for agriculture and not domestic use. She promised to hold a public meeting to discuss the matter.

Woman in court over permits

$
0
0
A woman was yesterday charged in a Mombasa law court with defrauding ten women of Sh800,000 and forging business permits. Grace Wangui Mbugua denied the charges before senior resident magistrate Irene Ruguru. The prosecutor Eunice Mainge told the court that on different dates between February 3 and May 26 at Kongowea Market in Mombasa County, Mbugua defrauded the women Sh887,250 by falsely pretending she was in a position to acquire business stall permits. She was charged with forging allocation letters alleging they were genuine documents from the municipal council of Mombasa. The...

National women's team off to Maputo tomorrow

$
0
0
THE national women’s team departs tomorrow for the women’s Fiba Africa Nations Cup scheduled to start this weekend in Maputo, Mozambique. While naming a 12-man squad, coach Ronnie Owino decried the lack of serious residential training but was quick to note that they are up to the challenge despite their opponents having had longer training period. The team will wind up their week-long training at the Nyayo Stadium today before focusing on the 10-day bonanza. Kenya are placed in Pool ‘B’ alongside reigning champions Angola, former champions Mali and Nigeria together with Cape Verde and...

Rasanga assists fire victims

$
0
0
Former Siaya Governor Cornel Rasanga yesterday donated food and blankets to families whose houses were burnt at Nyandheho village in Usonga location Siaya district. Rasanga, through his former deputy Wilson Ouma Onyango expressed his heartfelt regrets fo. The assistant chief of Nyadorera ‘A’ sub-location, Sylvester Amuok, said 12 houses were razed down in a bizarre incident that affected five homes in that small village and the residents now suspect that it was satanic. He told The Star that when the first house got burnt last week they suspected that it could have torched by an insane man...
Viewing all 63229 articles
Browse latest View live


Latest Images